Sunday, August 14, 2016

Dont miss it!

 So something that I myself have definitely been guilty of is focusing on what my boys were having a hard time with, what they may never accomplish or what will be a struggle for the rest of their lives and the implications of said struggle.

I work very hard to remind myself to stay in the NOW and not look at the FUTURE.
 this really does help. It makes me see the progress no matter how small that either of them make, which small in the world of autism is actually huge!

For example The brute is considered non-verbal, this was extremely hard for me and was probably the hardest part of his regression for me to accept.. Admittedly I fell into the belief that well speech is everything. The truth is he does communicate, maybe not with words but he does in other ways.
I marvel sometimes in how hard he has to work to show me what he wants and how inventive he becomes.

If I stay stuck on the fact that he doesn't talk like other neuro typical two year olds, I would miss how smart and resourceful My two year old is.

It was hard to change my thinking to look more at the positives trust me, after a long day of Mr.Smiles being aggressive  or The brute biting his brother yet again. It was hard to stay in the now and not start thinking of what a year or five would look like.  so I started small I would remind myself one hour or even ten minutes from this moment this tough moment would be in the past.

That is not to say that I don't have my bad days, everyone does but we can not get stuck in those days or you will miss the little beautiful moments in between the hard ones. You will miss the progress worrying to much about the future.

the first time The brute raised his arms to show me he wanted to be picked up was tremendous for me he was 18 months old, way past the age that babies usually start this. It forced me to stop and realize that these small moments were what I needed to focus on.

so please slow down take a breath and don't miss it :)





No comments:

Post a Comment